Saturday, June 2, 2012

Flour Sack Towels

Does your family go through lots of paper towels?  It seemed like every time I turned around, I was replacing the paper towel roll.  All those paper towels in the trash...adding to the landfills...ugh!  Not to mention the cost!!!  So, I decided to try a friend's recommendation of using flour sack towels rather than paper towels.  At first, I was skeptical because all I could think of was how much it was going to add to my laundry pile (I have two kids, I have enough laundry!).  My friend has three kids, so I thought if she could do it then so could I.  I bought my towels at Wal-mart, I think I got 5 towels for $4-5.00, and bought 10 towels total.  I washed them and placed them near the paper towel roll, and told my husband (who rolled his eyes) to try to use them for everything (spills, drying dishes, etc.) rather than the paper towels.  We still use paper towels on occasion, but have quickly adapted to not using them.  It really was not a bad transition.  In fact, I prefer to use the flour sack cloths for just about everything.  They are very absorbent at cleaning up spills and drying dishes, and dry quickly.  We have been using these towels daily for the last few months, and I have barely spent any money on paper towels (I love being frugal!).  While we have not entirely gone paper-less, we are definitely using less paper towels and not adding as much to our landfills.  You really should give this a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment